FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who should attend a Trogon Photo Tours workshop or photo tour? We welcome photographers of all levels from beginners to professionals. If you are a beginner and would like advice about which workshops or photo tours would be best to start with contact us – give us a phone call or email us. Professional photographers have won prestigiuos awards with images taken on our photo tours and workshops. Anyone who loves nature and wants to learn more about photography is welcome on our tours.
What kind of photo equipment do I need to go on one of your tours or workshops? Every workshop is a little bit different in terms of desired equipment. On the workshop or tour page that info will be listed. Most people who go on our tours own a DSLR or advanced mirrorless camera and intermediate to long telephoto lens. But a few people who use point and shoot cameras come on our trips and they are welcome as well. For all tours where mutli-flash hummingbird photography is done we provide all of the multi-flash equipment except you will need to bring one flash which goes in your camera’s hotshoe. We also have photo equipment that we can rent out to participants at affordable prices (less than the equipment rental companies).
Are nonphotographers welcome? Yes nonphotographer spouses, friends, birders and companions are welcome to attend our photo tours and workshops. Often a spouse will be a birdwatcher and they usually enjoy the trips a lot because Nate Chappell is an excellent bird watcher and we hire excellent local birdwatching guides. If you are curious about how a specific tour will be for your spouse or friend contact us – send us an email or give us a call.
What is the difference between a photo tour and a workshop? In our case there is not much difference between what we call a photo tour and a photo workshop. We label shorter US based trips workshops and longer overseas trips photo tours. On any photo tours and workshops led by Nate Chappell, Charles Gangas or Ken Archer a presentation will be given on photographing birds and/or animals in the wild and a presentation on using flash for bird photography. On overseas photo tours not led by Nate Chappell, Charles Gangas or Ken Archer these presentations are not included. On any of our photo tours and workshops we often initiate discussion in the field about how to go about gettiing the best image including camera settings etc. and we encourage questions and discussion about the photography. On any photo tours or workshops led by Ken Archer, Charles Gangas or Nate Chappell we also have a presentation on raw image conversion and processing. For anyone who is interested in critique and review of images taken on our photo tours it is offered in the evenings. On some overseas photo tours the leader will be a local photography guide who is a good photographer and knows the locations very well but is not an expert level instructor.
What if I am interested in photographing a certain species or at a certain location where you are not currently offering a tour? Please contact us regarding what you are interested in doing. Nate Chappell has photographed in many different areas on 6 continents (all except Antarctica) so we may well be able to put together a private photo tour or workshop for you. Also we enjoy hearing input on what photographers would like to do in order to help plan future group photo tours and workshops. We are always looking to add new tour offerings and workshops.
What if your tour or workshop that I want to attend is full? Please contact us and let us know. We will put you on a waiting list and sometimes we will add another workshop.
Do the instructors and tour leaders photograph on the photo tours and workshops? Yes we usually do. Nate, Charles and Ken all find if they are photographing along side their participants it is much easier to give advice to the participants about what camera settings to use, how to compose a photo etc. But we put the participants first in terms of getting the shot, your experience is our priority, not ours. With the case of multi-flash photography the instructor will get the multi-flash setup and test it and then the participants will have a schedule for shooting on it.
What will I gain from going on a Trogon Photo Tours photo tour or workshop? We as instructors for the participants and most of the participants who go on our tours and workshops have 2 main goals. One of the goals is to get as many excellent photos as possible of the birds and animals that live in the area we are going to. The other goal is to improve as photographers. To come away with increased knowledge of nature photography that will continue to help you improve as a photographer. With these goals in mind we will ask each participant a month or two before each tour or workshop what species they are most interested in photographing and what areas of photography they would most like to work on improving. This way we can tailor each photo tour or workshop more to individual needs. While we will get the vast majority of the species advertised on a photo tour and workshop we cannot guarantee any species, it is nature after all.
What is your group size? For all US based workshops which last more than one day there is a ratio of no more than 5 photography participants to 1 instructor. For overseas photo tours the ratio is no more than 7 photography participants to each photography instructor/tour leader. A photographer for group size is considered someone using a DSLR system, in any case when adding in non photographer spouses and companions the maximum size of overseas tours is 10 participants. These ratios are smaller than almost all other photo tour companies and shows Trogon Photo Tours commitment to leading high quality tours. After all the less participants per instructor the more personal attention you will get and the better chance for growth as a photographer.
What is the minimum group size for your tours to run? Many of our tours and workshops will run with a minimum of 1 person and almost all of them can run with a minimum of 2 participants. This gives you the confidence to book your trip with almost a certainty that the trip is going to run. However, we reserve the right to cancel a tour for lack of participation or if there is a natural disaster or something out of our control that occurs. If this happens we will refund all payments. However in practice we have only ever canceled one tour for lack of participation where there was someone already signed up and that occured over 6 yeras ago.
What is included in the price? Each tour or workshop can be a little bit different so for specifics please refer to the photo tour or workshop page that you are considering. But in general almost all overseas photo tours include all lodging, meals, guiding, park fees, instruction and transportation within the country except air travel. Most US workshops include lodging, instruction, park fees but not meals. Some include local transportation, some do not. Again check the page of the specific tour or workshop that you are interested in.
What is the activity level for your tours and workshops? Each workshop is a little bit different. But in general the vast majority of photo tours and workshops are designed so that just about anyone can participate. For example on our Ecuador and Trinidad and Tobago photo tours the majority of the photography is done right around the lodges. There are walks to photograph special birds scheduled but if you think the walking will be too strenuous you are welcome to stay at the lodge and photograph what is there or rest. If you want to take a half day off during the middle of a tour or workshop to rest up there is no problem with that. If on the other hand you like to hike there are opportunities to do so on almost all of our photo tours and workshops. When walks are scheduled to photograph a certain species the vast majority of the time the walk is less than one mile each way. Contact us with any questions.
What is your cancellation policy?
Our group photo tours and workshops require a lot of planning for tour leader and lodge availability. Therefore, the deposits for these tours are nonrefundable if the participant cancels. Depending on the tour the remaining balance is due 90 to 120 days before the tour. If an amount of time is not listed the balance is due 90 days before the tour. At this point the whole amount of the photo tour cost is nonrefundable in case of the participant canceling. Therefore, we highly recommend you purchase travel insurance which covers the cost of your photo tour and travel. In some cases, depending on the circumstances, we may allow customers to apply part of their tour cost to a future photo tour. If a photo tour is cancelled by Trogon Photo Tours, Inc. the full amount will be refunded to the participant or it can be applied by the participant to a future photo tour.
Last updated: March 01, 2020
INTERPRETATION AND DEFINITIONS
The words of which the initial letter is capitalized have meanings defined under the following conditions.
The following definitions shall have the same meaning regardless of whether they appear in singular or in plural.
- Youmeans the individual accessing or using the Service, or the company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Service, as applicable.
Under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), You can be referred to as the Data Subject or as the User as you are the individual using the Service.
- Company(referred to as either “the Company”, “We”, “Us” or “Our” in this Agreement) refers to Trogon Photo Tours, Inc., PO Box 1505, Fresno, TX 77455-1505.
For the purpose of the GDPR, the Company is the Data Controller.
- Affiliatemeans an entity that controls, is controlled by or is under common control with a party, where “control” means ownership of 50% or more of the shares, equity interest or other securities entitled to vote for election of directors or other managing authority.
- Accountmeans a unique account created for You to access our Service or parts of our Service.
- Websiterefers to Trogon Photo Tours, accessible from www.trogontours.net
- Servicerefers to the Website.
- Countryrefers to: Texas, United States
- Service Providermeans any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Company. It refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by the Company to facilitate the Service, to provide the Service on behalf of the Company, to perform services related to the Service or to assist the Company in analyzing how the Service is used.
For the purpose of the GDPR, Service Providers are considered Data Processors.
- Third-party Social Media Servicerefers to any website or any social network website through which a User can log in or create an account to use the Service.
- Facebook Fan Pageis a public profile named Nate Chappell Photography – Trogon Photo Tours specifically created by the Company on the Facebook social network, accessible from https://www.facebook.com/chappellphoto
- Personal Datais any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
For the purposes for GDPR, Personal Data means any information relating to You such as a name, an identification number, location data, online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
For the purposes of the CCPA, Personal Data means any information that identifies, relates to, describes or is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with You.
- Cookiesare small files that are placed on Your computer, mobile device or any other device by a website, containing the details of Your browsing history on that website among its many uses.
- Usage Datarefers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Data Controller, for the purposes of the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), refers to the Company as the legal person which alone or jointly with others determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data.
- Do Not Track(DNT) is a concept that has been promoted by US regulatory authorities, in particular the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), for the Internet industry to develop and implement a mechanism for allowing internet users to control the tracking of their online activities across websites.
- Business, for the purpose of the CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act), refers to the Company as the legal entity that collects Consumers’ personal information and determines the purposes and means of the processing of Consumers’ personal information, or on behalf of which such information is collected and that alone, or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of consumers’ personal information, that does business in the State of California.
- Consumer, for the purpose of the CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act), means a natural person who is a California resident. A resident, as defined in the law, includes (1) every individual who is in the USA for other than a temporary or transitory purpose, and (2) every individual who is domiciled in the USA who is outside the USA for a temporary or transitory purpose.
- Sale, for the purpose of the CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act), means selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, a Consumer’s Personal information to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
COLLECTING AND USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Types of data collected
While using Our Service, We may ask You to provide Us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify You. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Phone number
- Usage Data
Usage Data is collected automatically when using the Service.
Usage Data may include information such as Your Device’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
When You access the Service by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, Your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of Your mobile device, Your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that Your browser sends whenever You visit our Service or when You access the Service by or through a mobile device.
Tracking Technologies and Cookies
You can instruct Your browser to refuse all Cookies or to indicate when a Cookie is being sent. However, if You do not accept Cookies, You may not be able to use some parts of our Service.
Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on your personal computer or mobile device when You go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as You close your web browser.
We use both session and persistent Cookies for the purposes set out below:
- Necessary / Essential Cookies
Type: Session Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These Cookies are essential to provide You with services available through the Website and to enable You to use some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these Cookies, the services that You have asked for cannot be provided, and We only use these Cookies to provide You with those services.
- Cookies Policy / Notice Acceptance Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
- Functionality Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These Cookies allow us to remember choices You make when You use the Website, such as remembering your login details or language preference. The purpose of these Cookies is to provide You with a more personal experience and to avoid You having to re-enter your preferences every time You use the Website.
For more information about the cookies we use and your choices regarding cookies, please visit our Cookies Policy.
USE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The Company may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service, including to monitor the usage of our Service.
- To manage Your Account:to manage Your registration as a user of the Service. The Personal Data You provide can give You access to different functionalities of the Service that are available to You as a registered user.
- For the performance of a contract:the development, compliance and undertaking of the purchase contract for the products, items or services You have purchased or of any other contract with Us through the Service.
- To contact You:To contact You by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application’s push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation.
- To provide Youwith news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless You have opted not to receive such information.
- To manage Your requests:To attend and manage Your requests to Us.
We may share your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers:We may share Your personal information with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service, to show advertisements to You to help support and maintain Our Service, to contact You, to advertise on third party websites to You after You visited our Service or for payment processing.
- For Business transfers:We may share or transfer Your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
- With Business partners:We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services or promotions.
- With other users:when You share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside. If You interact with other users or register through a Third-Party Social Media Service, Your contacts on the Third-Party Social Media Service may see Your name, profile, pictures and description of Your activity. Similarly, other users will be able to view descriptions of Your activity, communicate with You and view Your profile.
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The Company will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of Our Service, or We are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
TRANSFER OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Your information, including Personal Data, is processed at the Company’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. It means that this information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of Your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from Your jurisdiction.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Under certain circumstances, the Company may be required to disclose Your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Other legal requirements
The Company may disclose Your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Protect and defend the rights or property of the Company
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- Protect the personal safety of Users of the Service or the public
- Protect against legal liability
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The security of Your Personal Data is important to Us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect Your Personal Data, We cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Detailed Information on the Processing of Your Personal Data
Service Providers have access to Your Personal Data only to perform their tasks on Our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may use Your Personal Data to contact You with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to You. You may opt-out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from Us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email We send or by contacting Us.
We may use Email Marketing Service Providers to manage and send emails to You.
Mailchimp is an email marketing sending service provided by The Rocket Science Group LLC.
We may provide paid products and/or services within the Service. In that case, we may use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA UNDER GDPR
We may process Personal Data under the following conditions:
- Consent:You have given Your consent for processing Personal Data for one or more specific purposes.
- Performance of a contract:Provision of Personal Data is necessary for the performance of an agreement with You and/or for any pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Legal obligations:Processing Personal Data is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the Company is subject.
- Vital interests:Processing Personal Data is necessary in order to protect Your vital interests or of another natural person.
- Public interests:Processing Personal Data is related to a task that is carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Company.
- Legitimate interests:Processing Personal Data is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Company.
In any case, the Company will gladly help to clarify the specific legal basis that applies to the processing, and in particular whether the provision of Personal Data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract.
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE GDPR
The Company undertakes to respect the confidentiality of Your Personal Data and to guarantee You can exercise Your rights.
- Request access to Your Personal Data.The right to access, update or delete the information We have on You. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of Your Personal Data directly within Your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact Us to assist You. This also enables You to receive a copy of the Personal Data We hold about You.
- Request correction of the Personal Data that We hold about You.You have the right to to have any incomplete or inaccurate information We hold about You corrected.
- Object to processing of Your Personal Data.This right exists where We are relying on a legitimate interest as the legal basis for Our processing and there is something about Your particular situation, which makes You want to object to our processing of Your Personal Data on this ground. You also have the right to object where We are processing Your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes.
- Request erasure of Your Personal Data.You have the right to ask Us to delete or remove Personal Data when there is no good reason for Us to continue processing it.
- Request the transfer of Your Personal Data.We will provide to You, or to a third-party You have chosen, Your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Please note that this right only applies to automated information which You initially provided consent for Us to use or where We used the information to perform a contract with You.
- Withdraw Your consent.You have the right to withdraw Your consent on using your Personal Data. If You withdraw Your consent, We may not be able to provide You with access to certain specific functionalities of the Service.
EXERCISING OF YOUR GDPR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
You may exercise Your rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition by contacting Us. Please note that we may ask You to verify Your identity before responding to such requests. If You make a request, We will try our best to respond to You as soon as possible.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about Our collection and use of Your Personal Data. For more information, if You are in the European Economic Area (EEA), please contact Your local data protection authority in the EEA.
Facebook Fan Page
DATA CONTROLLER FOR THE FACEBOOK FAN PAGE
The Company is the Data Controller of Your Personal Data collected while using the Service. As operator of the Facebook Fan Page (https://www.facebook.com/chappellphoto), the Company and the operator of the social network Facebook are Joint Controllers.
The Company has entered into agreements with Facebook that define the terms for use of the Facebook Fan Page, among other things. These terms are mostly based on the Facebook Terms of Service: https://www.facebook.com/terms.php
We use the Facebook Insights function in connection with the operation of the Facebook Fan Page and on the basis of the GDPR, in order to obtain anonymized statistical data about Our users.
For this purpose, Facebook places a Cookie on the device of the user visiting Our Facebook Fan Page. Each Cookie contains a unique identifier code and remains active for a period of two years, except when it is deleted before the end of this period.
Facebook receives, records and processes the information stored in the Cookie, especially when the user visits the Facebook services, services that are provided by other members of the Facebook Fan Page and services by other companies that use Facebook services.
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE CCPA
- The right to notice.You must be properly notified which categories of Personal Data are being collected and the purposes for which the Personal Data is being used.
- The right to access / the right to request.The CCPA permits You to request and obtain from the Company information regarding the disclosure of Your Personal Data that has been collected in the past 12 months by the Company or its subsidiaries to a third-party for the third party’s direct marketing purposes.
- The right to say no to the sale of Personal Data.You also have the right to ask the Company not to sell Your Personal Data to third parties. You can submit such a request by visiting our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” section or web page.
- The right to know about Your Personal Data.You have the right to request and obtain from the Company information regarding the disclosure of the following:
- The categories of Personal Data collected
- The sources from which the Personal Data was collected
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the Personal Data
- Categories of third parties with whom We share Personal Data
- The specific pieces of Personal Data we collected about You
- The right to delete Personal Data.You also have the right to request the deletion of Your Personal Data that have been collected in the past 12 months.
- The right not to be discriminated against.You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of Your Consumer’s rights, including by:
- Denying goods or services to You
- Charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties
- Providing a different level or quality of goods or services to You
- Suggesting that You will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
EXERCISING YOUR CCPA DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
In order to exercise any of Your rights under the CCPA, and if you are a California resident, You can email or call us or visit our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” section or web page.
The Company will disclose and deliver the required information free of charge within 45 days of receiving Your verifiable request. The time period to provide the required information may be extended once by an additional 45 days when reasonable necessary and with prior notice.
DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell personal information. However, the Service Providers we partner with (for example, our advertising partners) may use technology on the Service that “sells” personal information as defined by the CCPA law.
If you wish to opt out of the use of your personal information for interest-based advertising purposes and these potential sales as defined under CCPA law, you may do so by following the instructions below.
Please note that any opt out is specific to the browser You use. You may need to opt out on every browser that you use.
You can opt out of receiving ads that are personalized as served by our Service Providers by following our instructions presented on the Service:
- From Our “Cookie Consent” notice banner
- Or from Our “CCPA Opt-out” notice banner
- Or from Our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” notice banner
- Or from Our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” link
The opt out will place a cookie on Your computer that is unique to the browser You use to opt out. If you change browsers or delete the cookies saved by your browser, you will need to opt out again.
Your mobile device may give you the ability to opt out of the use of information about the apps you use in order to serve you ads that are targeted to your interests:
- “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” or “Opt out of Ads Personalization” on Android devices
- “Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS devices
You can also stop the collection of location information from Your mobile device by changing the preferences on your mobile device.
“Do Not Track” Policy as Required by California Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA)
Our Service does not respond to Do Not Track signals.
However, some third party websites do keep track of Your browsing activities. If You are visiting such websites, You can set Your preferences in Your web browser to inform websites that You do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable DNT by visiting the preferences or settings page of Your web browser.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13. If You are a parent or guardian and You are aware that Your child has provided Us with Personal Data, please contact Us. If We become aware that We have collected Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, We take steps to remove that information from Our servers.
We also may limit how We collect, use, and store some of the information of Users between 13 and 18 years old. In some cases, this means We will be unable to provide certain functionality of the Service to these users.
If We need to rely on consent as a legal basis for processing Your information and Your country requires consent from a parent, We may require Your parent’s consent before We collect and use that information.
Links to Other Websites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
- By email: email@example.com
- By phone number: 2817781486